Future Renewable Electric Energy Delivery and Management Systems Center
The FREEDM Systems ERC proposes a smart-grid paradigm shift that will enable the U.S. to take advantage of advances in renewable energy for a secure and sustainable future. The proposed FREEDM System is a green energy grid infrastructure that will:
- Allow “plug and play” of any energy resource or storage device, anywhere and anytime
- Manage distributed energy resources and storage devices through Distributed Intelligence
- Pioneer a scalable and secure communication backbone
- Be capable of being totally isolated from the central power grid, if necessary, continuing to operate based on 100% renewable energy
- Provide perfect power quality and guaranteed system stability
- Have improved efficiency, operating the alternating current system with a unity power factor.
The FREEDM Systems ERC is moving toward realization of its vision through breakthroughs in fundamental research (systems theory, advanced storage, and post-silicon power devices) and enabling technology development (secured communication, distributed grid intelligence, high-frequency and high-voltage power conversion, and distributed energy storage devices).